Every year on Earth Day, articles pop up about what you can do to take care of our planet. Although this is a great start, we all know that one day of thinking about the earth won’t make that large of an impact. That’s why we’re going to give you some ways to make every day Earth Day by only changing a few small habits!
There are four aspects we can focus on:
- How do you use water?
- How do you get from point A to point B?
- How do you take part in the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle?
- How do you use energy?
Here’s some ways to make small chances that are better for Earth.
- Use reusable water bottles rather than the disposable plastic water bottles. Doing this eliminates waste.
- Use less hot water when showering and doing laundry.
- Take shorter showers instead of baths.
- Do not leave the faucet running unnecessarily. Shut if off while you brush your teeth or shave.
- Drive less by working from home if possible or carpool!
- Be gentle on your brakes while driving as it will be more gas efficient.
- Drive slower – it saves gas!
- Take public transportation when possible.
- Ride your bike as much as possible (It’s great exercise too!)
- Make sure your tires are inflated… Did you know it can increase mileage by more than 3 percent!
- Make sure your car is running efficiently.
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
- Compost – it makes great natural fertilizer. Did you know you can use your coffee grounds in your garden? http://www.yardproduct.com/blog/5-tips-for-winter-composting/
- Recycle items instead of disposing in the trash – you’ll be amazed by how much can be recycled.
- Be thrifty by shopping at thrift stores and donate your clothes so others can use them after you no longer need them.
- Use reusable products instead of disposables.
- Use LED light bulbs – they last 10 times longer and use two-thirds less energy.
- Make sure your appliances are energy-efficient and up to date.
- Get a programmable thermostat and reduce the thermostat setting when you go to bed. Sleeping in colder temperatures actually help people sleep and has many health benefits.
- Make your home more energy-efficient. You can lose a lot of heat and air conditioning through your windows and improper use of your vents.
Have some other tips? Share them in the comments below!